Universal Credit extended to more areas from today
Wednesday 28th March 2018
From today, Wednesday 28 March, the Universal Credit full service is being extended to the Barking, Acton, Ealing and Palmers Green job centres in London.
Then during April it will also be rolled out to the following new jobcentre areas:
- From Wednesday 4 April - Airdrie, Bellshill, Cumbernauld and Motherwell
- From Wednesday 11 April - Slough and Rhyl.
- From Wednesday 18 April - Ashton in Makerfield, Leigh and Wigan
- From Wednesday 25 April - Ipswich
Need help understanding Universal Credit?
Visit our Universal Credit webpage for more information about Universal Credit and who is expected to claim it.
You can also download our Universal Credit - the essentials factsheet [PDF] or our factsheet on how Universal Credit affects families with disabled children [PDF].
If you are affected by any of these issues and need advice, get in touch with our helpline.
We're campaigning to improve Universal Credit
Contact is currently campaigning for three changes to Universal Credit rules, which are unfair to families with disabled children:
- Reverse cuts to the lower disabled child element under Universal Credit, which will see 100,000 families with disabled children worse off by £1,600 each year.
- Remove rules that mean Universal Credit is stopped when a disabled child is in hospital for six months.
- Remove rules that mean Universal Credit is stopped when a disabled child lives away from home such as in residential school.
We need your help to campaign for these changes!
More than 4,000 people have signed our petition to the prime minister. Join them and help us stop cuts to payments for disabled children under Universal Credit, by signing our petition today.
Affected by Universal Credit cuts?
We are keen to gather experiences of anyone who has been moved onto Universal Credit and experienced a cut to their payments because of the above reasons.
If you have been affected and would be willing to share your story, we would love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com