Don't miss the deadline for primary school applications
Tuesday 12th January 2021
This Friday 15 January is the deadline for families in England applying for primary school places.
The deadline applies only to children who don't have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and go through what is known as the normal admissions system.
Find information on school admissions
Visit our admissions and school choice webpage to find out:
- How the application process works for children with or without an Education, Health and Care plan.
- The criteria schools use to decide who to offer a place to.
- When you'll receive your child's primary school place offer.
Visit our finding the right school webpage to find out:
- How to get information about different schools.
- What to think about when you're choosing schools.
- Some of the questions you can ask schools.
Because of the coronavirus pandemic, you may not be able to visit the school you are considering. However the school may have a virtual tour or online open events which you can attend.
What happens after I've made my applications?
Once you've submitted your choices, the schools you've applied to will each decide whether they can offer your child a place.
The local authority will consider these offers against your preferences, along with everyone else's. And on national offer day - 16 April for primary schools - you'll get a single offer of a school.
Our admissions page has information on:
- What to do if you're not happy with the school offered.
- When a school can't refuse a child a place.
- The right to mainstream for children with Education, Health and Care plans.
This information will also be useful to parents who applied to secondary school places last October. The secondary school national offer day is 1 March.